Careers at Newton!
We like to think that everyone who wears Newton Running gear is an ambassador for our company. But we're always looking for people who are especially passionate about Newton Running to join our team and be an official representative. Check below to see what positions we have available.
Who We Are:
Newton Running is based in Boulder, Colorado and we make the finest running shoes on the planet, maybe the Universe (had to qualify it with a “maybe” because it’s a big place…we don't want to overreach). We are seeking a VP of Sales who demonstrates exceptional strategic, planning, execution and leadership skills and has a passion for the running footwear sector as well as Newton Running. We are a Certified B Corp, so you can be certain of our socially responsible pedigree. We exist to make every stride better.
Who You Are:
You have 12+ years experience in sales with 5+ years in sales management for an active lifestyle/CPG brand; experience with an athletic footwear brand is a plus. You can point to a proven track record leading a growing sales team utilizing exceptional people management skills. You have solid knowledge of the athletic retail sales market, including specialty and major account channels. You are an entrepreneurial leader with a tenacious work ethic and always lead by example. You enjoy collaborating across departments to build comprehensive sales plans and mentor staff. Forecasting and planning come second nature to you and you love analyzing and interpreting data. You are described by most as resourceful, ambitious and honest.
Additionally, you have/are:
- Bachelor's Degree is preferred in Sales, Marketing, Business Administration or related field
- Advanced computer skills with sophisticated ability to utilize excel, CRM and inventory management systems
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills
- Must have the ability to travel extensively (50% domestic travel, some international travel required)
- Valid driver’s license and valid car insurance
- Management experience of a global sales team is a plus
- An avid runner with background in running and/or multi-sports and personal experience in Newton Running shoes
- A deep commitment to educational mission of the company
About The Position
The Vice President of Sales will lead and develop the North American retail sales teams across all channels including Specialty Run (both independents and National Accounts) and Majors (General Sporting Goods, Athletic Specialty, etc.) to meet aggressive growth and profitability goals. As the sales leader, this person will have responsibility for all sales targets, channel program development and implementation, department P&L, product forecasting, and management of sales staff. He/she will work closely with other sales units at Newton Running, including the VPs of International Sales, Sales Operations and eCommerce. This is an exempt position is based in Boulder, CO and will report to the President of Newton Running.
Principal Job Responsibilities
Sales, Forecasting and Sales Operations
- Lead Account Management teams to achieve annual revenue, margin goals and relationships in the North American Sales channels: Specialty Retail Accounts (Gold); National Accounts (RRS, RSG Fit2Run, etc); Major Accounts (DSG, REI, etc) and Inside Sales (Silver)
- Leadership around the development and implementation of sell through programs that maximize the use of an integrated field based Sales Specialist team
- Develop and implement a comprehensive sales plan, detailed forecasting, inventory management plan and operating budgets for North American retail sales to support strategic direction
- Execute against product releases, marketing promotions, merchandising plans and events
- Target expansion opportunities and work to secure placement
- Utilize the company’s cross functional resources to deliver best in class service
- Develop and implement key operational improvements in support of the strategic plan that make it very easy to do business with Newton Running
- Extensive US and Canadian travel (50&) to support sales team, engage in events and business development.
- Adept at presenting product plans at all levels of retail including pre-lines and sales samples.
Business and Sales Analysis
- Communicate with management team regarding progress against sales plans by measuring performance through detailed analytical sales reports
- Provide management team reports evaluating ROI on programs and initiatives
- Monitor competition by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, new products, delivery schedules, merchandising techniques, etc., evaluating results and making recommendations
- Drive in-depth, proactive and long-term planning
- Collaborate on the merchandising and sales of newtonrunning.com to ensure continuity with brick and mortar sales.
- Work with internal digital teams to capitalize on integration required in an omni-channel sales approach.
- Manage SRA Regional Account Managers, Director of National Accounts, Major Account Manager, Inside Sales channels, jointly manage Director of Sales and Marketing Integration
- Hire, train, coach and mentor sales staff
- Develop commission and salary structures
- Determine individual and department goals; oversee staff performance evaluations
- Promote a culture that reflects Newton Running’s values, encourages outstanding performance, and rewards productivity
- Commitment to Newton Running’s core values
- Personal involvement in the Company’s Social Responsibility goals
- Participation in community volunteerism and in efforts to reduce the Company’s impact on the planet
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Interested applicants please write to email@example.com. Newton Running is an equal opportunity employer.
Sales Specialists - Baltimore
Reporting to the Account Manager, the Sales Specialists work to increase sell-thru and grass-roots outreach at major accounts. Sales Specialists’ primary goals include: 1) leading and implementing programs that drive retail sell-through; 2) ensuring retail sales staff are fully educated on products; 3) successfully deploying marketing and POP materials designed to increase sell-through. These are exempt, full time positions that are based in specific territories and require extensive travel within the territory (75%+).
Principal Job Responsibilities
1.Manage consumer activation in the territory, including:
- a.Build relationships with retail staff
- b.Manage education of retail sales staff
- c.Plan in-store programming and events including try-on programs, demo runs and fun runs
- d.Work on the floor during key shifts and encourage trial
- f.Implement in-store retail merchandising
- g.Maintain exceptional customer service
- h.Support other community events that are specifically tied to the retailer
- b.Manage education of retail sales staff
2.Support business planning at accounts in the territory including:
- a.Check inventory and report back on sell through to the Account Manager
- b.Participate in a planning meetings with Account Manager to map out in-store merchandising, support and activities
- c.Participate in a quarterly business review
- d.Be an active part of planning for growth beyond pilot phase
3.Elevate the Newton Running brand in regional markets
- a.Capitalize on and develop “the Newton Tribe” on a regional basis
- b.Actively gather and share competitor and market trend information back to Marketing and Corporate Leadership
- c.Be an authentic ambassador for the Newton Running Brand
- d.Develop a stable of key media influencers and tastemakers
- e.Implement grassroots programs to elevator the Newton Running brand
4.Recruit and manage part time/volunteer employee pool of ambassadors
- a.Recruit, train, manage, deploy and help develop part-time employees or volunteers (“Newtonites”) in the territory to provide more floor support in the communities where they live
- b.Help define and refine the “Newtonite” or Alchemist program
5.Complete all administrative functions with timeliness and accuracy
- a.Manage extensive travel logistics in efficient and cost-effective manner
- b.Document your hustle with calendars, and submitted call and activity reports
6.Commit to Newton Running’s core values
- a.Personal involvement in the Company’s Social Responsibility goals
- b.Participation in community volunteerism and in efforts to reduce the Company’s impact on the planet
Core Competencies / Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Sales experience is critical
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with the running shoe industry or related outdoor products
- High level of competency presenting to groups and answering challenging questions
- A charismatic personality and a customer focused mentality
- Deep experience in specialty run shops
- Experience as a runner or triathlete and strong natural running skills
- Intermediate PC knowledge and skills
- Planning and executing cost effective frequent travel plans (airline, car rental and hotel)
- Personal experience with Newton Running shoes
Required Personality Traits
- Must be willing to conduct oneself in accordance with Company’s Core Values
- Self-confident and strong interpersonal skills
- Must demonstrate proven record of goal achievement, sense of urgency and dedication to success.
- Must have a proven record of problem solving skills and creativity to achieve goals.
- Highly customer service oriented, organized, proactive, hard worker
- Independent, self-directed and tenacious at follow-through
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Must be sincere, ambitious and have a strong sense of ethics
- Ability and desire to travel frequently
- Education and Training
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Degree in Sales, Marketing, Business Administration or related field
- PC literate; MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Must have valid driver’s license and valid car insurance
Newton Running is based in Boulder, CO. We exist to make every run better. Interested applicants please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate in the subject heading of your email the territory to which you are applying. Newton Running is based in Boulder, Colorado. We exist to make every stride better. Newton Running is an equal opportunity employer.
Newton Running Lab - Part Time Retail Assistant
PART TIME RETAIL ASSISTANT
Remember the time you said, “I love my Newtons so much, I wish I could work for the company”? Consider this your lucky day! Newton Running is looking for a part time sales associate in the Newton Running Lab, Newton’s flagship retail store.
The Short Story: Newton is looking for someone enthusiastic and awesome
The Long Story:
Running Lab Responsibilities
- Part time assistant to handle retail sales of Newton Running footwear and related accessories
- Be an authentic ambassador for Newton, we live this stuff
- Teach technical aspects of the shoes, as well as natural running form and technique
- Maintain top level customer service
- Running is a solo sport, this job however, is for a team player
- Your running shoes must arrive to work on time, and we prefer it if you do, too
Required Skills and Traits (other than being enthusiastic and awesome)
- Fun, energetic and community oriented
- Highly customer service oriented
- Independent, self-direct and tenacious at follow through
- Basic computer skills
- Valid driver’s license and Insurance
- Basic knowledge of running bio-mechanics
- In-store and social media marketing experience is a distinct advantage
- Retail experience is preferred
Weekend work required. Newton Running is based in Boulder, Colorado. We exist to make every run better. See newtonrunning.com for more information. Interested candidates please send resume to email@example.com. Newton Running is an equal opportunity employer.