Last week Newton had three athletes competing in the Badwater Ultramarathon, the 135-mile run sufferfest that rises 13,000 feet from Death Valley to the portal of Mt. Whitney. Claiming to enjoy "hills, heat, and headwinds" Ian Adamson won the masters category (45+) in his first Badwater race ever with a total time of 34:32:38.
Is that snow on the horizon? Must be a desert mirage.
This year's race was particularly hot, resulting in times that were 4-5 hours slower than usual.
Ian describes the role that his shoes played in his successful race: "Badwater provides conditions most human’s can’t, or shouldn’t, run in, which in turn provides an opportunity to see how Newton shoes hold up. I ran primarily in the Distance racer, a light-weight racing shoe, that performed remarkably well. I already had 400 miles training on them, so another 100 or in extreme heat confirmed their resilience." He also claimed that his legs didn't even feel beaten up at the end, which we find hard to believe!
Also running for Team Newton was Pam Reed, who finished in third place overall for the women with an overall time of 32:23:34. Jim Smith rounded out the trio and made the tough but safe decision to quit around 100 miles in. We also learned that this year's finishers included a 75 year old man, a crazy guy who ran "the double," i.e. he turned around and ran all the way back upon finishing, and Marshall Ulrich, who finished for his 22nd time.
Congrats to all the finishers, you guys are a tough group.
On a related note, Ian is still accepting donations on his Badwater page:
Donate $50 or more to Racers Against Childhood Cancer (RACC) and receive a coupon for 40% off a pair of Newton Running shoes (any model.) Here's How:
- Browse to Ian’s Badwater donation page.
- Make your donation.
- Newton Running will send you unique coupon code and instructions on how to redeem it for your discount shoes.
- Purchase your shoes at NewtonRunning.com and enter the discount code.
The Fine Print
- Offer is available on-line only.
- Coupons code will be issued after donation and can only be redeemed at time of purchase.
- Coupons are valid unill July 31st, 2010.
- Models subject to availability.
- Shipping and taxes will apply (shipping via UPS Ground.)
- Anyone who purchases two or more pairs of shoes on-line in a year can become part of "Club Newton" and will receive an additional item of value such as tech socks, hat, shirt and more with each purchase.