Newton Running Elite Rack Up A Record 100 Wins In 2014
Boulder, Colo., Jan. 8, 2015 – While 2014 was an incredible year for the Newton Running brand; it was also an important year for a celebrated group of runners representing the Newton family. The Newton Running Elite team is a group of runners who toe the line at races spanning distances of one to 125 miles across all terrains. The team is comprised of men and women who balance elite running with family, busy work schedules and other commitments. One thing they all share is the love of running and racing in Newton.
At the start of 2014, this group of 15 fearless Newton runners, nine located in Colorado with the remainder throughout the US, established a goal of not only competing in, but also winning 100 races by the end of the year.
On New Year’s Eve, the team accomplished what they set out to do in record-breaking freezing temperatures, earning their 99th and 100th wins at the Resolution 5K in Denver, Colo. Throughout the year, there were standout performances including four Olympic Marathon qualifiers and several other team members expected to soon meet the qualification standards, as well as wins at local favorite and world-renowned races. A few of the athletes with notable highlights are:
Mike Andersen (Detroit, Mich.) won the 2014 Detroit Free Press Talmer Bank Marathon with a personal best time of 2:24:54. Mike has a goal of qualifying for the Olympic Marathon Trials and is close to accomplishing it with his fast marathon time.
- Kristen Arendt (Boulder, Colo.) is a Newton team member who has been making running headlines since high school. In 2014, Kristen earned a big win at the USATF Colorado State Half Marathon Championships. Up next is qualifying for the 2016 Olympic Trials and competing at the major U.S. Championship races for road, track and cross country.
- Fernando Cabada (Boulder, Colo.) held the 25K American record for several years and has claimed the title of US Champion three times. His most recent personal victory came at the 2014 BMW Berlin Marathon with a blazing 2:11:35 performance, which earned him the fifth fastest marathon performance of 2014 by a US male.
- Brenda Carawan (Georgetown, Texas) logged the longer distances setting a new women’s course record by three hours at the 125-mile Nove Colli road race in Italy finishing second overall behind the lead male runner.
- Melody Fairchild (Boulder, Colo.) established herself as a top Masters runner winning multiple USATF National Masters titles in her first year as a Masters athlete including the Tulsa Federal Credit Union 15K in October.
- Tyler McCandless (Boulder, Colo.) is a top American distance runner, PhD student, and coach who in 2014 earned his personal best marathon time of 2:15:26 at the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon in Minnesota, which also served as the 2014 USA Marathon Championships.
The Newton Running Elite team races to help create a connection with the running community and to motivate others to take the first step on their own running journey. The team doesn’t stop at racing however, as members also volunteer their time to encourage runners at a number of races around the country, host youth running events and also raise money throughout the year to support worthy causes.
Expect to see great things including new team racing and personal goals from Newton Running Elite team members in 2015. Kicking off the New Year, Newton Running welcomed its newest athlete just this week. Jeannette Faber joins the team with a running resume that includes a 2:32 marathon PR. Jeannette’s accomplishments also include being selected to represent the USA as part of its three-person team at the 2013 IAAF Marathon World Championships in Moscow.
# # #
About Newton Running
Boulder, Colorado-based Newton Runningis the leader in performance running shoes that promote gait efficiency for people at all levels of the sport, from first-time 5k runners to seasoned marathoners. Newton Running’s patented Action/Reaction™ technology provides dynamic shock absorption, energy return, ground feel, minimal heel-to-toe drop, and lightweight comfort. Newton Running form clinics, hosted in partnership with specialty running retailers worldwide, help runners learn their natural running motion. In addition to its devotion to help people run better, Newton Running is committed to corporate responsibility through sustainability efforts and through the support of numerous charitable organizations and has been recognized for these efforts by achieving B Corporation status. Newton Running is the official footwear and run course sponsor for the IRONMAN U.S. Series and presenting sponsor of the Destination Races Wine Country Half Marathon Series. Newton Running shoes are available at hundreds of specialty retails across the country and around the world or at www.newtonrunning.com.